Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Zucchini Potato Frittata



Remember the day I made two kinds of cookie and neither turned out? I wasn't going to cook again ever!

But then I redeemed myself at dinner.

I made this summer frittata the night before I left on my trip. My boy suggested we go out to eat, but I wanted one last night of eating at home, so I took on dinner duty. I questioned this fiercely at 3PM when I had messed up two batches of cookies, had no dinner or ingredients, hadn't finished packing, and had an evening class from 7 to 9 and a date with the new Harry Potter movie at 10:30.

But then it all came together, which is why frittatas are really lovely. Not only do you get to eat eggs for dinner, but they are delicious eggs, hard to mess up, and pretty on the plate.

And something I did not think of while I was beating those eggs: cold frittata eaten pre-dawn while getting ready to depart for a major excursion is super yummy. So is a bite or two at 2 AM when you get home from a movie.

Now that I think about it, frittatas might fall into the perfect food category (at least for me, at least right now.)

Serves four to 6
1 medium zucchini, sliced
salt
4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. waxy potatoes, sliced thin
1/2 large onion, sliced thin
hefty handful of chopped chorizo
6 eggs
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 -3/4 cup feta cheese

Combine the zucchini and 1 tablespoon salt in a colander and toss well. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat in a large, well seasoned, oven proof non-stick skillet. Add the potatoes and onion, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook until the potatoes and onions are soft about 20-25 minutes. Increase heat and toss to brown potatoes, about 5 minutes more. Remove the potatoes and onions but keep the skillet on the burner.
Transfer the zucchini to a paper towel and pat dry. Add zucchini and chorizo to the skillet and saute over medium high heat, until the zucchini is just tender, about 4 minutes. Remove zucchini and chorizo, but keep the skillet over the heat.
Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add pepper to taste. Fold in potatoes, zucchini, chorizo and cheese.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet as needed to lightly coat the bottom. Pour in the egg mix, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook without stirring till the bottom is set, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is set, 5 to 15 minutes, checking every five minutes.
Remove from oven and place a serving plate on top of the skillet and carefully invert -- the frittata should fall out of the pan. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments: