Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cilantro Pesto

Unlike some people I know, our basil has not gone crazy this summer. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that for the past ten days it has been foggy, windy, and cold. But even before that the basil was small and dainty, not tall and crawling all over the place like some of the other herbs in the garden.

Our cilantro is huge and leafy. I have been making buckets of pesto with it:
1 large bunch cilantro
2 tablespoons walnuts
1/4 olive oil (maybe more, see how it all comes together)
liberal salt and pepper
juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
Put the cilantro and walnuts in the food processor, blend, add oil, blend, add salt, pepper, and lemon juice -- and more oil if you think it needs it.

Just like basil pesto there is no real recipe that goes with cilantro pesto. We have mixed it with pasta and drizzled it on top of beans and summer veggies. Yesterday I stirred it into couscous along with a bit of plain yogurt, some chopped shallots, and diced dried apricots. It was surprisingly tasty and delicious.

I heart cilantro pesto. Even if my basil doesn't grow I am perfectly content.

No comments: