Monday, July 27, 2009

Roxy Paine's Maelstrom






I thought I was done posting pictures from NY but I just can't stop thinking about the sculpture on the rooftop of The Met.

Roxy Paine's Maelstrom is about the relationship between nature and the built world and the inherent chaos of everything. The sculpture is chaotic and tangled and beautiful, kind of like life. I sat up on the roof for a long time the first day I was in NY. It was so hot but it felt so good. I took a few pictures but planned to buy lots of postcards to send to people. But there were no postcards --? The guy said it was because it was a special exhibition. As he told me this I was purchasing postcards from "The Model As Muse," another fantastic special exhibition. So that can't be true.

Anyway, in the 10 days that have passed I have found myself thinking about Maelstrom a lot. There were so many people I wanted to share it with. So, if you are one of my artistic, beauty loving, footloose and fancy free traveler friends -- this one is for you.

No comments: