Sunday, April 19, 2009

Souvenir (Part II)



Yesterday we were at the grocery store buying cheese for a dinner party. The guest of honor was a Frenchman, and the cheese was to be served as it traditionally is in France: after the first and second courses, alongside a big green salad.

M. was perusing the cheeses and I was eating green peas straight from the bag. He held each cheese delicately, occasionally giving one a sniff, trying to pick just the right thing. He considered for a moment picking all domestic cheeses, but then put the Cowgirl Creamery St. Pat's back on the shelf. "I just can't," he said. "I love French cheese too much."

I don't disagree. The French cheeses he picked for dinner were marvelous: Brillat-Savarin, a goat cheese, and Comte. But really, he is kind of a snob. We have some great cheeses stateside and some lovely ones that are made locally.

Case in point: the souvenir cheese I brought home from Utah last week. Direct from the Beehive Cheese Co., the Promontory Point Cheddar is very sharp and full flavored, even a tad smokey. I like it most alone, sans cracker or bread so that the nutty sharp flavor can really shine. I cut it straight from the loaf, a nibble here and there while dinner is cooking.

What I like best is that a bought it straight from the source. A kind man from Beehive fed me samples of several cheeses last week at the farmer's market and I liked this one best. I piked my small block, I paid him directly, we both ended up happy.

Sadly, it takes a lot more to get my cheeses direct from France. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the chance if it were offered!

P.S. And for those of you who really think there aren't fine food things happening in Utah, check out the Beehive Cheese Co. story.

No comments: