Monday, April 20, 2009

The Perfect Day



It was so warm today that it brought back memories of life in San Diego. All I wanted to do was play hookey, sit in the sun, read, and drink iced coffee.

Instead, I tried to enjoy the pre-summer moments where I could: a bowl of lentils for lunch topped with baby tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, and hallumi cheese. A sit on the couch with the windows wide open, watching the sun go down with a nice, tall, glass of water.

And what's better on a hot day than not having to cook? I was lucky. There were dinner party leftovers, so instead of firing up the stove, all I had to do was pull out a plate. My dinner of halibut and salad with avocado, beets, and goat cheese was nearly perfect.

But, there is one thing that's missing -- a freezer full of ice cream! M. and I went on a long walk yesterday afternoon and even he couldn't resist standing in the long line at Bi-Rite Creamery for a little dish of salted caramel ice cream topped with another scoop of brown sugar ginger ice cream.

Feeling giving, he shared a few bites. Both were amazing, but the salted caramel ice cream is what I will fall asleep thinking about.

It is time to locate the box where the ice cream maker has been spent the past six months.

No comments: