Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Winter Lentil Soup


As I am writing this I am staring out the window at piles and piles of fresh snow. Goodbye California, Hello Utah! And this was the soup that got me here -- it kept me warm and healthy amidst the stresses and debauchery of early December. You simply can't go wrong with lentils and greans: so wholesome, so good.

My soup is based on a recipe for Lentil Soup with Chipotle Yogurt I saw a couple of weeks ago on Sprouted Kitchen. I fully intended to make the soup just as the recipe was written. But Whole Foods was out of fennel. And then my pantry was out of cumin. And I had sour cream instead of yogurt...

Soon the recipe was becoming my own. With the added paprika it became smoky and earthy and dark, very wintery. Swirling in sour cream at the end seemed so decadent; it was a beautiful and very healthy soup.

I ate it for days and days and put some in the freezer. I can't wait to return to it in the new year.

Winter Lentil Soup
2 Cups Lentils (French or Black Beluga)
1 Yellow Onion, Diced
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Cup Brown Rice, Cooked (any whole grain will work)
6 Cups Organic, Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
1 heaping teaspoon Spanish paprika
1 Large Bunch of Kale, Chard or Combo of Leafy Greens
Salt/ Pepper
Sour Cream, for serving

1. Cook your rice or desired grain and set aside. Boil about four cups water, and boil the lentils for 20 minutes until cooked. Add water as needed. Drain.
2. In a large soup pot, saute the yellow onion and the fennel in the olive oil for about 8 minutes, or until just starting to turn light brown. Add the stock and paprika. Bring the heat back up to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the lentils and the brown rice and simmer about 10 minutes. While you are waiting, stem your greens and slice them into thin strips. Taste the soup for salt and pepper, add seasoning as desired.
4. Turn off the heat and add in the greens, stir. The greens will wilt in the hot soup, and avoid overcooking this way. Top with ample sour cream, good salt, and fresh pepper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!