Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Real Tartine




One afternoon I walked all over the 8th in search of lunch. I had a poor map and an address, and not being particularly directionally inclined I walked around and around and around until I found Boulangepicier, a bakery and lunch joint operated by restaurant superstar Alain Ducasse.

There were so many lunch options to choose from: green salads with lardons and poached eggs, lentil salads with herbs and tiny tomatoes and an array of sandwiches. There were the traditional ones: jambon et fromage, and more alluring picks like tartines (open faced sandwiches) with smoked salmon. I picked a tartine with soft goat cheese, figs, arugula, and a sprinkling of pine nuts across the top.

It was so pretty to look at, what with all that fun pink and green, and very good to eat. I ate at a tiny table outside and it was one of my favorite meals in Paris.

For dessert: a cannele from Fauchon. I have to say, it wasn't as good as the cannele from Ken's. Maybe my next trip to France will involve a trek to Bordeaux, the real home of cannele.

Bon Appetite!

Boulangepicier
73 Blvd de Courcelles, 8th
metro: Courcelles
cross street: Rue des Renaudes

P.S. With a good map this place would not be hard to find at all... I just started out looking for someplace else, got lost, then had to back track to find my way to lunch.

P.P.S. Prosciutto! I forgot about the prosciutto!It was an integral part of my beloved tartine...

1 comment:

once bitten, twice crushed said...

this post made my mouth water - i am a sucker for bread + anything, but have never been as much a fan of US sandwiches than their euro versions. your photograph pretty much represents the perfect lunch sandwich in my world!
FYI - the Pain Quotidien franchise in the US makes a pretty good version of what you had in Paris.