Thursday, April 09, 2009

My Bags are Packed (Again)

Ever the jet-setters, M. and I are both embarking on adventures tomorrow. His begins early in the day with a flight to Paris. He is staying only 48 hours. He is a rock star. My travels begin much later in the day with a flight home to Utah for the weekend.

Both trips are exotic in their own way, don't you think?

My trip is very last minute, which means that in the past couple of days there has been a flurry of messages as Mom and I plan our menu. Should we have ham, lamb, or something else for Sunday dinner? Should it be a traditional Easter meal or simply influenced by the abundance of spring? Which markets do we need to hit, and for what? [You may think there are no good markets in Salt Lake, but I'll see you at Liberty Heights Fresh or Tony Caputo's on Saturday morning and then we will talk...]

And then there's the most important question? What is for dessert? I scoured all the food mags that have recently arrived for ideas: lemon cornmeal cake with blueberry sauce, rhubarb galette, cherry-ricotta-almond cookie parfaits. And then I peeked into one cookbook (just one!) and found a recipe for a towering coconut cake and panacotta with strawberries and balsamic vinegar. The ideas are endless.

Now I just have to decide what I am hungry for -- besides home, of course.

No comments: