Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Monday Night Date Night

Not wanting to get too into this composting thing, M. and I went out to dinner last night. Dining early or mid-week is our new trick. Despite the poor economy, restaurants are still hopping on the weekend. Apparently everyone still wants to go out on Friday and Saturday night. But early in the week, there are good tables to be had everywhere in town.

So last night we got gussied up and went out on the town. It has been awhile since I have dined out in SF. In fact, when I thought about it I realized I had not been out to eat in San Francisco since a fantastic meal at NOPA in Mid March. It had been too long!

And how can you tell that the seasons have changed! Spring is officially here and there was green green green on the menu, with only occasional hints of that wintery wind that still blows here from time to time.

I had the most amazing soup, big white beans with swirls of dark turnip greens, and thick croutons. It was perfect for the sunny but slightly chilly early evening and the nearly icy wind that blew me across the street into the restaurant.

We had spinach and favas and artichokes too, which got me thinking about the weekend. Yes, it's Tuesday but I am already thinking of Saturday morning, a trip to the farmer's market, a bagful of favas, and what I am going to make for dinner. Does fresh pasta with asparagus, favas, and fresh ricotta sound good to anyone but me?

Till then...

No comments: