Monday, April 27, 2009

Do You Compost?

We started composting yesterday! It was a bit of a lark. Although composting is a super idea it is not something we have been talking about doing. But M.'s mom was in town for the weekend and she insisted it was so easy we must start doing it.

So we did -- M. made a makeshift/DIY compost container and I saved all the breakfast scraps. Luckily we'd had seven people over for brunch so we had lots to start with: egg shells, onion skins, strawberry tops, grapefruit, lime and orange rinds, pepper and banana peels all went into the bin. Now it will start "cooking" (I guess).

How long do we have to wait before we get new healthy dirt to spread in our new garden plot? Is there anything we can't compost?

I think some research might be in order. Until then, lunch's banana peel is going straight to compost as I head out the door to Office Max.

Oh my exciting life!

No comments: