Monday, October 30, 2006

Daylight Savings Time

I fear winter is upon us. Four signs of fall hit me upside the head this morning. One the icy temperature that never quite warmed to anything beyond 50 degrees. Two, the arrival of daylight savings time (it is 4:30 and the sun is setting!). Three, Halloween -- the big day is tomorrow and it brings to mind apples dipped in caramel, tomato soup, cornbread and candy bars. The last and worst reminder of fall is the arrival of the first cold: stuff head, stuffy nose and tired bones. Yes, fall is here.
With the dwindling light and the dwindling work day my thoughts turn to dinner. It feels like a soup night and I have marvelous walnut bread at home waiting to be dipped into butternut squash soup. But I won't be dipping and stirring this evening. If I really do succumb to a cold, soup and bread will be the only things I want.
Instead tonight I'll give a nod in the direction of France with an onion tart. Moke left buckets of caramelized onions in the fridge before departing for Spain and I'll put them on a tart crust, sprinkle with goat cheese and bacon and herbs and whatever else I can find in the fridge. Hopefully these good savory bits along with a strong glass of red wine and another night of good sleep will keep the cold germs from firmly implanting themselves in my body.

No comments: