Thursday, November 05, 2009

Tartine's Pumpkin Loaf




I popped into Tartine on Monday, just to see what was new. I know, Tartine was the last place my belly needed to be after two weeks in France. But I'd been to Bi-Rite for crispy, juicy apples, a delicata squash, and organic greens. How could I resist the urge?

Somehow, I did. But I also happened to notice that my beloved apricot zucchini bread had been replaced by the more seasonal pumpkin bread. So sad.

But pumpkin bread was what I was craving when I woke up at 6 AM and I could not talk my stomach out of it.

I was at Tartine's door at 8AM, risking yet another parking ticket by parking in a loading zone (bad Anne!) But was it worth it. My slice of breakfast bread hit the spot, fueling me as I boarded muni and began my trek to the Writer's Grotto, where I am subletting work space this month.

P.S. My camera remains on my dresser along with my 300+ France photos (to be shared soon). So this lovely photo from a lovely blog I've discovered called eating/sf will have to do. And the recipe? Thanks to the marvelous Tartine cookbook for that.


Tartine's Pumpkin Tea Cake
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
1-1/3 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar


Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a standard size loaf pan with parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add the oil, sugar, pumpkin puree, and salt. Whisk vigorously until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each so it is completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Sift the flour-spice mixture over this and stir with the spatula or a wooden spoon until just combined.

Pour batter in pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar; you can also garnish with a few pepitas (pumpkin seeds) as they do at Tartine. Bake until a cake tester comes out with few crumbs clinging, about an hour. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold and cool on a rack completely. Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Ursula said...

I love anything pumpkin! Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I was awake at 5 this morning making pumpkin bread thinking of you while I was busy in the kitchen. Mine was made from the new Grand Central Baking Book which you will love. I must be on your early morning schedule although not because I had a fabulous trip to France.

I also got a ticket for parking in a loading zone yesterday...so sad. Especially since I was, or thought I was paying such close attention to the signs in the pouring down rain. Ugh. After all the years of no parking tickets I have gotten 3 in the last month. My pregnant brain is not so clear these days.

Naomi