Sunday, September 06, 2009

Blueberry muffins for when the fridge breaks



When I woke up this morning, the old fridge was in the middle of our (very small) kitchen. I couldn't reach the stove or the toaster or the temporary icebox with milk, almond butter, and other cold sundries. The table was piled with dishes, glass wear, a farmer's market box of tomatoes, figs, peaches, nectarines, and assorted bottles of hard alcohol. Don't ask.

Fortunately, these muffins were within reach. I made them on Friday, just after we discovered the fridge was broken. It was a new recipe, picked because it used yogurt, eggs, and butter -- all perishable things I was worried about using up ASAP.

The recipe calls for lemon zest and cinnamon, but I found this convoluted the flavor a bit. If I made them again I would pick either citrus flavors or spices -- not both. And I might add even more of either: 1 tablespoon plus zest or 1 teaspoon plus cinnamon to bump up either the spicy or zesty qualities.

I was happy that the recipe used wheat and white flour which made for a dense and puffy muffin. And they're big too -- not the puny muffins some recipes make.

They were the only thing that got me through a messy, disorganized, not-at-all-relaxing morning. Ok, the divine latte from 4 Barrel Coffee helped too. I am developing a serious Sunday morning addiction.

Blueberry Muffins
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain yogurt (I used fat free because this is what we had -- it turned out super)
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1+ teaspoon cinnamon OR 1+ tablespoon
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 375 and spray muffin tins with cooking spray and line with liners.
In a small mixing bowl, sift together flours and baking soda. In another bowl, combine sugar, yogurt, eggs, butter, cinnamon or lemon zest. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended -- don't over mix! Gently fold in blueberries and spoon the batter into muffin tins, filling each cup 2/3 full.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: