Monday, August 17, 2009

Beans Really Aren't So Attractive Anyway...

This stretch of August has been busy with so many house guests and obligations and things to do. I have barely had time to cook, but somehow have found plenty of time to eat (and drink!)Last week I made this bean dip spread to serve for lunch alongside a huge greek salad and homemade rosemary-olive oil crackers. I used dried white beans and soaked them for several hours before cooking them and then mashing them to perfection. Then I added the olive oil and herbs, cutting down on the garlic a bit.

I have enjoyed it day after day, spread on toast, alongside a salad, and sometimes (one late afternoon pre-yoga) straight from the spoon like savory bean-y peanut butter. It was so easy it might become a fridge staple. My next stab, I think, will be black beans with a bit of that cilantro pesto mixed in. Imagine that spread on a tortilla for lunch or snack. Yum.

White Bean Dip
From Can It Pickle It Cure It by Karen Solomon (this is my new favorite cookbook!)
1 cup dried cannellini beans or one (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup loose packed fresh sage leaves
salt and pepper

Cook beans if you are using dried beans. Once the beans or done or you have opened the canned beans, put the beans in a bowl and mash them with a fork and set aside.
Place a small frying pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Let it warm, then add the garlic and the sage. Stir constantly for about 4 minutes, or until the garlic is brown, but not burned, and the sage is crispy.
Pour the hot mixture over the beans and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate up to one week; makes about 1 and a quarter cups.

PS I can't post photos for the moment, so words will have to do.
PPS This post is kind of like these beans. It might seem a little boring, but mix up those beans and you'll be glad you did -- they will add delicious late summer nourishment to your world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bean dip sounds delicious!

Lele said...

I do the same thing with bean dip! It's such a versatile food, and you can turn it into so many snacks, salads, sandwiches, whatever! I made a fava bean dip this summer that was unreal, and I had it with so many things!