Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Things I've Learned from Ice Cream

Admittedly, I like the writing part of blogging a lot more than the picture taking. I think photography is a lot of fun, but I thought it was more fun when I could wander through a city snapping away before delivering the tight roll of film to the photo shop and returning for a roll of surprises. Digital photography still kind of gets me down. And having to photograph my food before I eat it so I can put something on this little, mostly unfrequented site, really irks me. But nothing compares to having to photograph ice cream which is contained in a bowl which makes the angles funny, is mushy to start with, and melting by the moment. And it's ice cream, which means I really don't want to be taking photos, I want to be eating it.

And so, I decided there will be no photos of ice cream on this site. At least none taken by me. For now I will be in the business of making ice cream. And by ice cream I often mean sorbet or frozen yogurt (just you wait, you will love it), since I often find these mediums even more intriguing than more full flavored, milk fat driven, super sweet concoctions.

Today, I give you my prized recipe for lemon-buttermilk sorbet. People ask me about this one. It's great. Does it really matter that there's no photo? Trust me, its beautiful AND delicious.

Lemon Buttermilk Sorbet
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
4 cups buttermilk
pinch of salt

Stir sugar, lemon juice, and peel in medium bowl. Add buttermilk and stir until sugar dissolves. Chill until cold, about 4 hours (essential! Don't rush this part!)
Process mix in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer to container and freeze... sorbet will harden more in the freezer.

No comments: