Friday, May 01, 2009

May 1 May Day



The grocery store was closed today. Closed! Not all of them, of course, just the one I wanted to go to: Rainbow Grocery. I had a long list of things I needed: bulk nuts and chocolate, kefir and buttermilk, asparagus, and fennel, and greens.

But Rainbow was closed for May Day, also known as International Workers' Day. My peace and health loving grocery store co-op dared to close the first day of May to celebrate the social and economic achievements of the labor movement.

I could have gone to another grocery store. But instead I decided to wait it out and head to the grocery store tomorrow morning along with the dozens of others that were shut out today. I am sure there will be lines and crowds and complete aggravation. But Rainbow, its bulk food bins, and local and organic produce are worth waiting for. Plus, how can I not support workers' rights?

So I cooked from the pantry and made Olive, Apricot, and Pistachio Couscous to go along side the last of the leafy greens I had hiding in the fridge. It was a lovely light meal, though it was far more springy than the weather -- it poured nearly all afternoon.

Olive, Apricot and Pistachio Couscous
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living
1 and 1/4 cups water or stock
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 dried apricots, chopped
6 tablespoons coarsely chopped green olives
1 cup couscous
4 tablespoons shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar for finishing
Salt and fresh pepper

Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Add apricots, olives, and couscous, swirling pan to submerge ingredients. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for five minutes. Stir with a fork, then fold in pistachios and lemon juice. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Serve immediately.

No comments: