Monday, February 09, 2009

Dinner for When You're Home Alone & Want to Eat Green


I am home alone and cooking for one yet again. There's something lovely about being able to cook just what you want for dinner. Tonight I wanted something healthy and green. A bit of penance, perhaps, for a weekend that was full of chinese dumplings and sesame balls, shared burgers and fries, and more than one glass of wine.

I sat at work and tried to remember what was in the pantry. I knew I had organic brown rice and a large bunch of broccoli. Then I remembered the cilantro, the scallions, the eggs, and all of a sudden I knew I would make fried rice.

With the exception of the brown rice, which does take some time to cook, this is a very easy and healthy meal. I doubled it, so I would have leftovers to eat for the rest of the week. This dish would be perfect next to a piece of pork or chicken, or you could add in shrimp, crab, tofu or any and all vegetables. You'll see the recipe I used doesn't even call for broccoli. That was my own addition, cooked first and then added to the rice. And cilantro? I don't think cilantro is typically found in fried rice, but I love it, and especially love the combo of scallions and cilantro and broccoli, so ample greens were added to the dish.

I ate so healthy and well for dinner I decided to reward myself with a peanut butter chocolate cookie, sprinkled with a glittery mess of turbinado sugar and fleur de sel. It was the perfect ending.

Fried Brown Rice
Serves two -- easily doubled and modified
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
5-6 scallions, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
sriracha hot chili sauce to taste (careful, it's hot!)

Bring water to a boil, add rice, stir, then cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Then put in fridge to cool.

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan until quite hot. Add the ginger and fry for about a minute (don't burn it!) Add the rice and toss to coat with oil and ginger. Cook for about a minute.

Stir rice vinegar, soy, sesame oil, and add to the rice. Add scallions and cook for another minute, until everything is warmed through.

Add eggs and cook until finished. Finish with sriracha sauce to taste to add some extra heat.

No comments: