Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reading List

"A good journal entry -- like a good song, or sketch, or photograph -- ought to break up the habitual and lift away the film that forms over the eye, the finger, the tongue, the heart. A good journal entry ought to be a love letter to the world.

Leave home, leave the country, leave the familiar. Only then can routine experience -- buying bread, eating vegetables, even saying hello -- become new all over again."

This is from Four Seasons in Rome by Anthony Doerr, the slim book that is currently on my beside table and that I dip into periodically during the day when I get tired of the reading that I am doing for work and research.

It is a lovely book. I have never been to Rome and imagine I might like it even more if I had been. But the words about journal writing are what caught my eye last night and what I woke up thinking about this morning.

No comments: