Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Reading List

I am currently reading Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin. Pardon the pun, but it is such a delicious book. I'd heard about it for years and years and it was recommended to me by numerous people. I even think someone loaned me the book, but I never cracked the cover.

What a mistake that was. To think I could have been enjoying her beautiful essays for years, returning to them again and again each winter, maybe even cooking from the recipes found on her pages. It is a shame that I did not recognize greatness when it was handed to me.

Home Cooking is the first book of 2009 that makes me want to curl up, shut out the world, and read. But there is one major drawback: if I read too quickly the book will be over too soon. It is a dilemma.

But since it is a sunny, lovely day and since my afternoon appointment was cancelled, I may have a free ticket to sit in front of my big window and turn some pages. It helps to know there's another book, inventively titled More Home Cooking to read when I am finished with this one.

No comments: