Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Final Days

Today is the day before the day before The Move. I am down to the nitty gritty of packing. There are things that need boxes and boxes that need things. Yet nothing seems to match up and I am still surrounded by piles and piles.

I slept poorly last night and woke up to rain and fog, a typical Oregon October day. So I did what I had to do -- turned on the oven for one last time. I was early, before 7 AM, and dark. The oven clicked on as I searched for what to make. I needed something that would incorporate the last cup or so of frozen blueberries in the freezer. I bought them at the farmer's market in late July, a big bag of them, knowing that if I froze them they would be tough to eat before it was time to pack my bags. And indeed it was. So I used the last of the whole wheat flour, the last of the eggs, the last of the oil, and the last of the blueberries to make a loaf of blueberry cake for the road.

Just putting the ingredients together was relaxing and made me feel useful and productive in a way that all those piles of boxes could not. And also a little bit sad.

No comments: